If you are considering Invisalign or have already started treatment, you may have questions about how it works, how long it takes, and how to care for the aligners. This article will help you understand this clear and convenient orthodontic option.
1. How frequently should you use your Invisalign aligners?
Your aligners should be worn most of the time, even while you sleep, to ensure that the treatment is effective. Generally, you should only remove your aligners to eat, enjoy hot beverages, and brush your teeth.
Wearing the aligners consistently throughout the day will allow them to apply the necessary pressure to your teeth to move them into the desired position. Treatment usually lasts from 6 months up to 2 years. Follow the treatment plan provided by your orthodontist and switch to a new set of aligners as directed. This will help to ensure that the treatment is progressing as planned.
2. How do you keep your aligners clean?
Keep your Invisalign aligners clean to prevent bacteria from building up on them. Here are some tips for cleaning your Invisalign aligners.
- Use a separate soft-bristled toothbrush and clear soap and water to clean the aligners gently.
- Be sure to brush all surfaces, including the inside and outside of the aligners.
- Rinse the aligners thoroughly with lukewarm water to remove any soap residue.
- Dry the aligners with a soft cloth or paper towel.
You may also use a special Invisalign cleaning solution to clean your aligners. These solutions are available at your orthodontist's office or online.
Remember to brush your teeth and use mouthwash before reinserting the aligners after cleaning. This will help maintain good oral hygiene and prevent bacteria from transferring from the aligners to your mouth.
3. Can you eat and drink while wearing the aligners?
Always take out your aligners before eating or drinking anything other than plain water, and this will help protect them from staining due to colored foods and drinks, as well as chipped edges created by hard snacks. After eating or drinking, brush your teeth before replacing the aligner trays.
4. Can you wear Invisalign aligners while playing sports or exercising?
Invisalign aligners might not stay in place when engaging in vigorous contact sports. If you play a rough sport requiring a mouth guard, it is best to take out your aligner while playing.
5. Is Invisalign treatment painful?
Some people may experience minor discomfort when they first start wearing their Invisalign aligners. This includes soreness in your mouth due to the pressure exerted by the trays as they move your teeth into position. However, this tenderness typically dissipates after a few days as your mouth adjusts to wearing them.
Contact a local orthodontist to learn more about Invisalign.Share